[vlc-devel] Bounty tasks details request

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org
Sun Dec 22 20:14:32 CET 2013

On 12/22/2013 07:55 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le samedi 21 décembre 2013, 14:42:16 Gilles Chanteperdrix a écrit :
>> I do not know how much this is relevant, but I have worked on trying
>> to get a live555 server with a public IP address to work well with all
>> clients behind NAT. Amittedly, I am new to the business of video streaming,
>> so my approach may be naive, but what I have noticed is that the client
>> behind NAT sends UDP packets before starting playback on the server in
>> order to "open" the NAT,
> (...)
>
> Sorry but this is wrong. There is no requirement for the client to send a
> packet on the RTP port. Some clients might do it for firewall friendliness, but
> the server cannot rely on that - and it cannot possibly work if multiple SETUP
> requests are pipelined or there are multiple clients behind the same IP.

I do not rely on that. I use that information if I get it. The problem
with multiple SETUP behind the same NAT IP only exists if the server
sends the same stream with the same SSRC to multiple clients, and
several clients SETUP this same stream (reuse source boolean in
live555), which is a case I am not interested in, since I am streaming
media files, and I want each client to start the stream at its starting
point, even if another client is viewing the same stream. In addition to
that, I propose to change live555 client code to put its session ID in
these packets instead of a fixed dummy payload, which would allow to
avoid this problem, as well as the hijacking problem.

--
                                                                Gilles.