[vlc-devel] #2568 further help required.

Fayyaz Khan fayyazkl at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 07:59:17 CET 2013

Hi Naveen,

Additionally a few things that i did not find written in the developer
wiki and had to explore myself in the code are:

1. Start of application is in bin/vlc.c main function.
2. Core engine of vlc including player, internals of playlist etc. are
all written in c and would be found under src/ directory.
3. Most of other components are loaded as modules (which can be loaded
or unloaded and has a specific interface). Details of modules are on a
separate tutorial in vlc dev wiki. The GUI of entire vlc is also loaded
as a module and is written in Qt (c++) with following location
modules/gui/qt
4. vlc is multithreaded and various threads are synchronized via
semaphores for e.g. gui modifies the playlist and sem_post the main
playlist thread which is waiting for the lock and otherwise runs in a
loop (code would be under src/playlist/thread.c)
5. Where ever there is platform specific code (windows main, threads,
file system etc.), there are files with names indicating and code is
written to call respective functions for the current platform.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Fayyaz