[vlc-devel] Airplay Streaming - GSoC 2013 Idea

Rohit Yadav rohityadav89 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 13:09:45 CET 2013

+cc vlc-dev

Arnav, you should propose your ideas in public. This is so that
community should know about the proposal you're putting in and start a
discussion around it.

So, just get the source code and try to build yourself vlc-android and
run that on simulator or an actual android phone. Knowledge of Java,
C/C++, android development, git would help.

I think a good developer should be able to learn the skills for this
project, I won't hold against any student who does not know them, but
they should just be curious, eager and hard working to learn them if
they are not comfortable in them.

GSoC projects are a lot about learning, so for this project, you can
start by building, making small changes (like just change a string,
title bar, put your name there :) and testing it. Then learn about
Airplay, I've listed few opensource implementations on the wiki. Get
their source code, try to reverse engineer how they are doing it (the
fun part) and implement a POC within VLC (the awesome part :)

Lastly, email on the dev ML, hangout on irc and try to break the tasks
into smaller problems and win them one by one, you would win all of
'em.

HTH.