[vlc-devel] GSoC: Let's fix VLMC

Gleb Pinigin gpinigin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 10:03:57 CET 2013

Hello Felix

2013/2/15 Felix Paul Kühne <fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com>

> Hello Gleb,
>
> On 15.02.2013, at 06:24, Gleb Pinigin wrote:
>
> > How about hardware acceleration of encoding/decoding for native formats
> on iOS?
> This sounds interesting. The focus of GSoC won't be iOS, but this could be
> a valuable addition. Could you elaborate your ideas on how to achieve this
> considering that VideoToolbox and VDADecoder are private frameworks on iOS?

It possible can be done with AVAssetReader/AVAssetWriter from AVFoundation
framework, but I'm not sure that it can be easily implemented in VLC.

> > For airplay streaming from iOS it will be mandatory.
> Native AirPlay streaming from within VLC is against the App Store
> regulations, so we are limited to AirPlay mirroring like certain games are
> doing it. Still, this needs to be tested.

I didn't find any restriction for Native AirPlay Streaming in App review
guide, could you share some links?

> > And also student will deal with transcoding movie to h264 if needed.
> Could you give a use-case for this beyond AirPlay?
>
> As I know video should be in h264 encoding for being capable to decode on
AirPlay based devices. So if one wants to stream video in different
encoding he should transcode video to h264.