[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Qt: qFindChild has been deprecated in Qt5

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri Jul 19 14:51:25 CEST 2013

On 19 Jul, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> There is little to no point in backporting Qt5 patches when VLC 2.1 does
> _not_ support Qt5 anyway. That kind of changes should not be backported

I disagree. Those patches are almost trivial and the non-trivial ones
(9daf01ef2eb9 for example) were not backported. So I don't see the fuss here.
However, those backports are helping to backport fixes for the actual issues,
like the timetooltips ones, instead of having to fight to find the
actual chains of dependencies.

> until it is complete (if at all). Indeed it is highly probably that Qt5
> won't be possible without regressions and without non-compatible changes.

Qt5 works quite fine above vlc.git with a set of 2 patches, and we've
spend quite some time testing it, and there are no obvious regressions.

> Besides, this push broke hardware acceleration.

This is another issue than Qt5. I was asked 3 times on IRC to bp them, so I
did. And the one that is actually broken was removed.

> Good job on pushing stuff
> without testing and not reading the commit logs correctly.

However, I find the last remark quite weird seeing the last fix I had to
push to fix the build...

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734