[vlc-devel] Dropped frames despite ample CPU idle time?

Finn Hughes finn.hughes1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 17:57:06 CEST 2013

That's some fast reply ;)

If I disable the subtitles or switch to yadif deinterlacing I do not
drop frames which AFAIK may discount:
"It could be that the decoder outputs corrupt timestamps, or the
packetizer, or the demuxer, or the source media."

If so I guess that leaves
1. excessive jitter
2. video output renders too slowly
3. input synchronization or decoder code

Although maybe 3 is also unlikely based on the above?

An additional note is that frames are only being dropped when the
subtitles are being updated, which to my mind makes 1. the likeliest
option, is there an obvious way to try to isolate the problem area?

Finn