[vlc-devel] Airplay Streaming - GSoC 2013 Idea
arnavkumar24 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 13:56:21 CET 2013
From the description on the ideas wiki, I inferred that it was from VLC on Android, or desktops to any AirPlay devices (such as AirPort Express, Apple TV or a shairport deployment). Since the possibilities are endless, maybe we can define a subset of server client combinations and look at them one by one for the GSoC project.
I was researching on the things already out there and here are the findings.
1. There are many AirPort enabled android media players, such as Twonky. I tried a few of them (the free ones). And they work for the most part, but are a bit stop-start in places.
(I have a setup where my speakers are connected to an AirPort Express. This is what I planned to used for my testing. The response wasn't so smooth on a shairport deployment though. I couldn't manage to make these Android apps stream to my shairport deployment. I'm working on seeing why that is the case and all update once I figure something out.)
2. I'm still looking for an open source Android app which has implemented AirPlay (to stream to an AirPlay device). Will try to work something out from there.
3. There is an app called AirBubble which can be used to stream audio to an android device from an AirPort client. I'm looking for more such apps and hopefully I will find something open source.
Any suggestions? Let me know!
Tanks a lot!
1. Twonky - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pv.twonkyremote&hl=en
2. AirBubble - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.airbubble
More information about the vlc-devel