[vlc-devel] Test suite for VLC

Des Wagner deswagnermedia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 10:04:35 CET 2013

Hi,

I would like to get involved with developing VLC. I have some experience in
coding with C++ and would like to get to know C and video and audio
processing.

I think a good place to start will be writing unit tests for various
modules. Can anyone recommend a good module to start with that has a
relatively low barrier to entry?

Also could someone let me know how to integrate a unit test into the test
suite for use with autotools? Is there a current procedure for that?

I have looked at the test suite page at http://wiki.videolan.org/Test_Suite.
It's pretty light on the details. And as of version 2.1.0 that I cloned
from the git repo I can't find the  ../modules/misc/tests - there's no
'tests' folder at all. Neither is there a test.sh script for that matter.
So it seems that this area is ripe for some work and I would love to get
stuck into it. Is there anyone else working on the test suite? And is there
anyone who has some advice for how to get started?

Cheers!