[vlc-devel] Test suite for VLC

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Mar 6 11:22:54 CET 2013

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 19:34:35 +1030, Des Wagner <deswagnermedia at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I would like to get involved with developing VLC. I have some experience
in
> coding with C++ and would like to get to know C and video and audio
> processing.

If you'd like to get to know C, I can only recommend gettting a C(99) self
learning book. Really.

> I think a good place to start will be writing unit tests for various
> modules. Can anyone recommend a good module to start with that has a
> relatively low barrier to entry?

> Also could someone let me know how to integrate a unit test into the
test
> suite for use with autotools? Is there a current procedure for that?

VLC uses the standard automake test suite approach as documented in
automake info pages. This only works for native builds.

The few existing test cases are mostly in src/test and test/ directories.

Sent from my collocated server