[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Revert "aout: remove what should be an unneeded update of "mute""

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Mar 21 19:01:56 CET 2013

Le jeudi 21 mars 2013 19:41:23, Erwan Tulou a écrit :
> vlc | branch: master | Erwan Tulou <erwan10 at videolan.org> | Thu Mar 21
> 18:07:52 2013 +0100| [60ac0e3170e7c4c98f0750436e7bc7cb0a9ffa63] |
> committer: Erwan Tulou
>
> Revert "aout: remove what should be an unneeded update of "mute""
>
> This reverts commit 2ad2e671b814ebcee2a4724baf5a8606a5938554.

I think this patch was correct.

> After full analysis of all audio output drivers, a bunch of them still
> don't use aout_MuteReport at all. So the hack is still useful for those
> drivers.

Fix the drivers then.

> Not that this hack may hide other tricky issues, since the mute states may
> then differ at the playlist and aout levels, possibly leading functions
> like 'playlist_MuteToggle' to work erratically.

I would not call this a hack as the code used to be correct. I just forgot to
remove it when I should have.

> For drivers that use aout_MuteReport as expected, this hack just updates
> the variable with the same value, which should be harmless.

It is harmless except when it is not. This left over creates a race condition
whereby the playlist mute state can get corrupted.

http://www.remlab.net/