[vlc-devel] VLC development

Nicolas BERTRAND nicoinattendu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 14:08:15 CET 2013

Le 21/03/2013 22:51, Felix Paul Kühne a écrit :

> On 21.03.2013, at 21:08, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:
>
>> Le jeudi 21 mars 2013 11:45:40, Christoph Kuhr a écrit :
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> at my university, we have to do some project.
>>>
>>> I wanted to do something with the VLC.
>>> The context is IP streaming and the usage of SIP.
>>>
>>> Does anyone here have any idea of a project, which would also be of real
>>> concern for the VLC development?
>>
>> Oh, there is a lot to choose from: http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/report/1
>
> The following page might be of interest to you, too: http://wiki.videolan.org/Mini_Projects
>

> Best regards,
>
> Felix

Hi find hereafter the text
I have already a student whos starterd working this topic, and if
vlc appilcation is accepted, she is ok to apply as GSOC student

Cheers
Nicolas
Digital Cinema DCP playback

Digital Cinema Packages(DCP) is the format chosen for playback movies in
cinemas. The goal is to implement handling of DCP in VLC, this will be
used topreview and playback of movies. This work will be part of a
research topic dedicated to propose a FOSS framework for
independent/art-house theaters.

The DCP (size usually from 60 to 200 Gb) use MXF containers :
     - A MXF File for video encoded in JPEG2000 intra frame only in 2K
or 4K image size with a framerate of at least 24 fps
     - MXF Files for audio in WAV. One MXF file per audio languages.
     - MXF Files for subtitles in XML or PNG. One MXF file per audio
      languages
The DCP is a directory with those MXF files and others XML files for
meta-data.

A VLC module shall be written to handle DCP. The MXF containers is
already implemented via libavformat. The JEPG2000 and WAV are handled by
libavcodec.The module to write will be an access_demux one who reads the
DCP directory as input and video, audio, and subtitles (when avlb)
elementary streams as output.
The decoder for subtitle shall be implemented also.

This project is the continuation of student project in engineering school

Requires: C and VLC knowledge, basic undestanding of video decoding,
libav/ffmpeg basics

mentor : Nicolas Bertrand aka Buxiness