[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Qt4: remove isFirstRun parameter

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Mar 25 09:34:05 CET 2013

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 19:16:45 -0400, Edward Wang
<edward.c.wang at compdigitec.com> wrote:
> On 13-03-24 05:11 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:
>> Now, I can even bring the dialog back by toggling the preferences and
>> restarting. That looks correct,*unlike*  the old semantics. There are
>> reasons
>> why we do not save the command line (been there done that); it looks
>> like you are arguing for saving the command line.

> Comment: to be honest, I am not even sure why anyone would want to
> choose whether to display the dialog each and every time

> that they start  VLC on the command line,
> because it is obviously meant to be displayed

With an explicit vlc --reset-config or vlc --qt-privacy-ask, the dialog
ought to be shown again, regardless of what was in the configuration. It
was not.

> I don't really see why someone would want to
> intentionally trigger the dialog after it has already been saved by the
> user.

Some developer also did not really why someone would want to have colons
in their file names (until a user filed a bug), why someone would have a
dollar or percentage sign in their output file names (until a bug was
filed
too), why setlocale() would crash (until it did on MacOS), why it would be
a problem to store command line arguments into the configuration (until
developers figured out why VLC was behaving weirdly).

With several years and a pletora of users, all corner cases get hit. I
just hit one yesterday. Also, most often you hit just the tip of the
iceberg. The real bug is much worst. If you do not see where I am going,
think 5 minutes before you read the rest of this mail.

Now imagine you revert my fix (and reopen bug #1482).
As a normal user, you start VLC and permit automatic updates and data
retrieval.
Some time later, you want to reset your configuration because you broke
something.
So you reset your configuration (via UI or vlc --reset-config).

Now you restart VLC. With JB's bug, VLC will _not_ ask again if you want
to permit automatic updates and data retrieval. They will both remain
disabled forever.

In other words, this bug affects not just one developer (me) that wanted
to force the PNAP dialog. It affects the 90% of the user base that use Qt
and do want to retrieve metadata and/or detect updates automatically.

Sent from my collocated server