[vlc-devel] What could cause VLC to freeze?

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 27 17:59:51 CET 2013

Folks,

Environment: VLC 2.0.4, Ubuntu 12.04 Minimal Version, Openbox

Similar machines are installed at many locations. The machine runs VLC 12 hours a day, playing different MP4 files and is turned off in the night.

Things work fine most of the time. However, once every couple of weeks, VLC would just freeze on a random machine. The keyboard and mouse would also stop responding.

I can ssh into the machine but I cannot figure out why the freeze is happening.

Is there any known case of VLC freezing?

Or, is there any strategic piece of code within VLC that I can instrument?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter