[vlc-devel] What could cause VLC to freeze?

Frode Tennebø frode at tennebo.com
Wed Mar 27 19:59:02 CET 2013

On 27 March 2013 17:59, Peter Tap <ptrtap at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Things work fine most of the time. However, once every couple of weeks, VLC would just freeze on a random machine. The keyboard
> and mouse would also stop responding.
>
> I can ssh into the machine but I cannot figure out why the freeze is happening.

What is required to get vlc working again?  Is it sufficient to just
kill the vlc process or do you have to reboot?  I have experienced
similar lock-ups on some systems which I believe have been caused by
the X11 sub-system, most likely the frame-buffer driver.  Whether I
have to reboot or just kill the process is a bit random.  Depending on
your hardware you might want to upgrade your packages (if you have not
already done so) or switch driver.

 -Frode