[vlc-devel] [Religion] Tag and fork or fork and tag?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon May 6 10:07:35 CEST 2013

On 06 May, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> On Sun, 5 May 2013 12:37:52 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
> wrote:
> > For 2.0, 1.3.0-git was only tagged in vlc.git and not in vlc-2.0.git.
> > I think this was a bad idea, since everytime you update the remotes, the
> > tag arrives again...
>
> I don't know what problem you have so I don't know what the best approach
> is.

The current approach makes it that, in vlc-2.0.git, if you have a remote
of vlc.git (in order to cherry-pick commits), the 1.3.0-git gets pulled.
Everytime we push a new 2.0.x tag (git push --tags), the 1.3.0-git tries
to be pushed.

> In any case, there should be at least one 2.1.0-pre* tag in vlc.git,
> possibly more depending when the branch is started(*). I don't want
> 1.3.0-git to remain the latest tag there.

Yes.

> (*) Personally, I have no immediate need to thaw vlc.git. Maybe someone
> else has.

I would like to delay the creation of vlc.git, too, until some of the
important bugs are fixed.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf