[vlc-devel] HLS player

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun May 19 12:08:02 CEST 2013

On 19 May, Kevin Cadieux wrote :
> I am more comfortable with C++ in general. Therefore, If I do write the HLS
> version 4 and 5 support in C++ I think it might be best for consistency to
> wrap the existing HLS code in classes so that it better integrates with my
> part.

> This is really just a question of style preference and habit. I find it
> easier to maintain C++ code but it doesn't mean this is true for everyone.
> If everyone prefers the HLS code to be in C I'll be happy to oblige :)

To be honest, the question is more: "will you maintain this module
correctly for a correctly long time?" than "what language is it in?"

By experience, maintaing C code is easier than C++ modules, because more
people are familliar with C code and because C++ programers often feel
compelled to use "cool features" of the language, because they can.

That being said, C++ makes sense when you need inheritance, like for MKV
or MXF, or like for Dash, where you have multiple profiles.

For HLS? why not, but:
 - Do your first commits with the old code and transition. A rewrite from
   scratch is not going to be accepted;
 - Do not use templates or operator overload just because you can;
 - Do not make it depend on 3rd party libs without asking (and no, Boost
   is NOT ok);
 - Do not reimplement stuff that should be in the VLC core;
 - Prepare the transition to a Demux or an Access Demux module.

Else, no religion for or against. The HLS code is working but not the
best ever, to be honest. And v4 and v5 are hard to do.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734