[vlc-devel] [TROLL] LGPL vs GPL

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Nov 20 14:39:01 CET 2013

Hello,

I hope I had you with the subject, but please read :)

So, most of the work on relicensing playback and streaming to LGPLv2.1+
is now done.

Yet, some part remains, and are listed under it.

If I mark with a "??" this means I need your input.

Access:
-------
DShow, because of one missing author
BDA, idem
RealRTSP, because lol @xine/mplayer authoring mess
v4l2, linux headers GPL

Access_output:
--------------
Bonjour, because jlj

Audio filter:
-------------
Dolby, headphone, mono, because babal
dtstospdif.c, because jlj

Codec:
------
dts.c, because jlj
t140, ??
x264, x265, because Loren refused

Control:
--------
DBus, gestures, hotkeys, globalhotkeys, motion, netsync, oldrc,
ntservice.
I think some should be moved to LGPL, like motion, because of rotate
filter depends on it. Opinons??

Demux:
------
mpc, wpl, zpl, because of authors missing
Real, see remark on xine

GUI:
----
because we said no.

Lua:
----
?? What should we do?

Misc:
-----
audioscrobbler, logger, stats: what should we do about those??

Playlist export and misc/rtsp could be considered as sout, but are
they??

Notify:
-------
Not really useful. Other opionions??

SD:
---
We never discussed about that, but I think LGPL for sap and upnp and
podcast would be nice. Opinions??

Stream_out:
-----------
Duplicate is missing because of a single commit that was rewritten by
Rémi afterwards. I don't know yet what I can legally do.
RTP is missing because of important code,

Video Chroma:
-------------
i420_rgb_mmx.h because sam is bad person :D (jokes asides, we have 2
missing authors)

Video Filters:
--------------
Yadif, HQDN3D, because of upstream
Rotate because of motion (see above)

Visualisation:
We need a new FFT for visual
VSXU, because main author was not contacted.

Thanks for listening...

With my kindest regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf