[vlc-devel] [TROLL] LGPL vs GPL

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Wed Nov 20 16:34:01 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope I had you with the subject, but please read :)
>
> So, most of the work on relicensing playback and streaming to LGPLv2.1+
> is now done.
>
> Yet, some part remains, and are listed under it.
>
> If I mark with a "??" this means I need your input.
>
> Access:
> -------
> DShow, because of one missing author
> BDA, idem
> RealRTSP, because lol @xine/mplayer authoring mess
> v4l2, linux headers GPL

videodev2.h is dual licensed GPL/BSD specifically so it can be used by
closed source applications.  If v4l2-common.h and v4l2-controls.h are
expected to be used by userland, then the lack of comparable licensing
is most likely an oversight.  I will check in with Hans Verkuil and
get his take.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs