[vlc-devel] [TROLL] LGPL vs GPL

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne at videolan.org
Wed Nov 20 19:33:01 CET 2013

Hello,

On 20.11.2013, at 14:39, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:

> So, most of the work on relicensing playback and streaming to LGPLv2.1+
> is now done.

\o/

> Control:
> --------
> DBus, gestures, hotkeys, globalhotkeys, motion, netsync, oldrc,
> ntservice.
> I think some should be moved to LGPL, like motion, because of rotate
> filter depends on it. Opinons??

I definitely agree. The main reason of saying no to GPL to LGPL relicensing for the UI was to keep a tool against piracy and fraught. I don't see how any of these modules could be used to trick a user into downloading a malicious fork of VLC. However, there may be very legitimate reasons to use these modules in a LGPL context, so I'd prefer the relicensing (despite my ownership of code is quite insignificant in those modules).

> Lua:
> ----
> ?? What should we do?

Same as for control IMHO.

> Misc:
> -----
> audioscrobbler, logger, stats: what should we do about those??

logger and stats should become LGPL if possible as these are nice tools to work with within the libvlc context. For audioscrobbler, well, probably nobody really case as this is a feature should be implement client-side, not within libvlc, especially given that there is no proper API for this module.

> Notify:
> -------
> Not really useful. Other opinions??

No.

> SD:
> ---
> We never discussed about that, but I think LGPL for sap and upnp and
> podcast would be nice. Opinions??

Yep, especially sap/upnp would be very nice and forthcoming modules as discussed during previous team meetings this year.
For podcast, well, it should be re-written, but that's different story :)

> Stream_out:
> Duplicate is missing because of a single commit that was rewritten by
> Rémi afterwards. I don't know yet what I can legally do.

Ask him?

Thanks a lot for your work!

Best regards,

Felix