[vlc-devel] [TROLL] LGPL vs GPL

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Mon Nov 25 00:28:32 CET 2013

> Codec:
> ------
> dts.c, because jlj
> t140, ??
> x264, x265, because Loren refused

If stream output and access output are relicensed then I guess there's
no point in not relicensing t140 too.

> Control:
> --------
> DBus, gestures, hotkeys, globalhotkeys, motion, netsync, oldrc,
> ntservice.
> I think some should be moved to LGPL, like motion, because of rotate
> filter depends on it. Opinons??

motion is not really a control interface, it should be a video filter,
so sure. For the other ones, I think this is going too far.

> Lua:
> ----
> ?? What should we do?

Lua add-ons are the opposite of something that's needed for a functional
LGPL VLC. How about we celebrate our love for GPL freedom by not
relicensing that?

> Misc:
> -----
> audioscrobbler, logger, stats: what should we do about those??

> Playlist export and misc/rtsp could be considered as sout, but are
> they??

Agreed for logger and stats. misc/rtsp is legacy and shouldn't be used
anymore. In my opinion playlist export is not related to stream output
and I'm a bit skeptical that it would be useful, but whatever.

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."