[vlc-devel] VLC with gstreamer

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Apr 7 22:51:46 CEST 2014

	Hello,

Le mardi 8 avril 2014, 00:40:41 ved kpl a écrit :
> I have written a gstreamer1.0 based video decoder module, that loads the
> appropriate gstreamer plugins for decooding. Tested this with various codecs
> such as H264. VP8, MPEG4, MPEG2, flashvideo.

> Guys, please let me know your comments on this.I thought it would be cool
> to load gst plugins too, considering the wide range of HW accelerated codec
> support it provides on many SOCs.

Did you have anything specific in mind? I had tried to write a gstreamer0.10
way back to support Nokia N9 (OMAP3630) a few years ago - and eventually gave
up. But nowadays, Android compliance has forced most SoCs to provide
OpenMAX IL, which VLC supports directly.

> I have so far tested this on X86 only and plan to make it robust on embedded
> platforms too, where there is GST support.

I know libavcodec slide decoding lacks VP8 support, but I have yet so see real
hardware supporting it. Is there anything else missing on x86?

> Do let me know if it sounds fine. I will upload a patch  by cleaning up few
> stuff by tomorrow.

Do you have any solution or plan to avoid the indirection to gstreamer for
unaccelerated codecs,or more generally when VLC already supports the codec?

http://www.remlab.net/