[vlc-devel] Using LibVLC to attach media_player to existing interface

Kevin Boos kevinaboos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 03:41:53 CEST 2014

Hello all,

First time here, so I apologize if this is directed at the wrong list.

I’m writing a simple C program with LibVLC, using this example.  I’ve managed to successfully create a new libvlc instance, create a new media_player instance, and register some callbacks with that media player to take actions when the media is paused, seeked, stopped, etc.  Everything is working with the simple “vout" interface player that pops up by default.

However, I don’t want to attach a media_player instance to the “vout" interface because it lacks important features like user controls, etc. I’d like to attach a libvlc_media_player_t  to a “qt4” instance that has a fully-featured media player window with all the bells & whistles.

I have tried to add the interface with  libvlc_add_intf(p_instance, “qt4”);,  which spawns a new window with the qt4 interface there, but I cannot control or attach anything to that qt4 interface window.  I can only control or attach to a simple window that I create with  libvlc_new_media_player().

Is there a way to get a handle to the media_player for a specific interface window?  I’d like to monitor what happens in the qt4 interface window using callbacks that I add with the  libvlc_event_attach() function.

Thanks,
Kevin Boos
Rice University