[vlc-devel] Build broken with latest git pull

David R. Robison david.robison at openroadsconsulting.com
Fri Aug 1 15:52:27 CEST 2014

Your no bother. Glad to help. Here is the script I am following to
compile my system. My big problem was in step 4 where I had to manually
set the PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR. This script allows me to successfully compile
VLC. I hope this helps. David

1) Create a 64-but Ubuntu 14.04 LTS VM and load all the system updates

2) Install the needed tools for the build. There may be some extra stuff
here but it won't hurt ya.

sudo apt-get install \
     texinfo pax g++ cvs yasm subversion git flex m4 bison \
     lua5.2 \
     libtool automake autoconf autopoint make gettext \
     pkg-config \
     qt4-dev-tools \
     git \
     subversion \
     wine-dev \
     zip p7zip nsis bzip2 \
     ragel ant default-jdk cmake

Note: during the wine install a popup will be displayed. You will need
to tab to the answer and use the space bar to select it as part of
accepting the license agreement.

3) We use the ffmpeg mingw-w64 package. Create a directory for the
mingw-w64 Tool, copy the install script into that directory, and build
mingw-w64:

mkdir mingw-w64
cd mingw-w64
wget http://zeranoe.com/scripts/mingw_w64_build/mingw-w64-build-3.6.0
./mingw-w64-build-3.6.0 --build-type=win64 --default-configure
--enable-gendef --enable-nls

Note: After the wget command make sure to modify the file's permisisons
to allow it to be executed.

4) In your user's directory, create the file .bash_aliases and add the
following lines

export PATH="/home/david/mingw-w64/mingw-w64-x86_64/bin:$PATH"
export PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/home/david/vlc/contrib

where /home/david/vlc is where you will checkout VLC to. This last line
is what I was missing and what I believe was causing all my trouble.

5) Log out and log back in to let the exports take affect.

6) Clone the VLC code

git clone git://git.videolan.org/vlc.git vlc

7) From the VLC root directory, build the contribs. You may get away
with the prebuilts but this works for me.

mkdir -p contrib/win32
cd contrib/win32
../bootstrap --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
make fetch
make

8) From the VLC root directory, bootstrap and configure the build

./bootstrap
mkdir win32
cd win32
../extras/package/win32/configure.sh --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
--enable-debug --enable-static

9) from the VLC/win32 directory, build VLC

make

David R Robison
Open Roads Consulting, Inc.
103 Watson Road, Chesapeake, VA 23320