[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] vdpau/avcodec: fix build for older ffmpeg

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Feb 10 16:27:52 CET 2014

<jb at videolan.org>
>> wrote:
>> (and
>> >
>> > No offense taken. I do my best, but the task is daunting.

>> > An ugly workaround would be to disable VDPAU if micro > 100, aka
FFMpeg
>> > case.
>>
>> IIRC, VDPAU is not the only place that checks for pkg-config version
>> numbers.
>
> This is true, but so far, it has not bitten in our ass yet.
>
> Yes, I have 2 contribs, one with libav, one with FFmpeg and I check
> regularly. ($deity bless ln -sf :D)

For contrib, it would be far less intrusive to patch the FFmpeg version
numbers back to corresponding libav numbers. But either way, a recent
FFmpeg build will probably always work - except for incompatible API
differences.

No, the problem lies with third party distributions using FFmpeg and
(also) leaving the broken version numbers. Then the problem is *not*
specific to VDPAU. It just depends on how old their FFmpeg is. But it is
the responsibility and conscious decision of the third parties in question,
so it is their problem to deal with. Not mine, not ours.

Sent from my collocated server