[vlc-devel] (no subject)

Wieland Hoffmann themineo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 21:21:14 CET 2014

Hallo Jean-Baptiste Kempf:
> On 14 Jan, Wieland Hoffmann wrote :
> > Hallo Jean-Baptiste Kempf:
> > > Do the mbid get stored in the right input metadata, btw?
> >
> > Hm, now that you mention it, the APE, ASF and MP4 readers don't seem to
> > read the MBID (or any custom tags for that matter). I see 2 ways to
> > solve this:
> >
> > #1 is something along the lines of
> >
> > > for each tag that taglib exposes:
>
> vlc_meta_TrackID ?

The MusicBrainz *Album* ID that the current code uses is not what's gets
used for vlc_meta_TrackID (the UFID frame in ID3). The TrackID
corresponds to the MusicBrainz Recording ID, where a recording is a
peace of audio that later gets used as a track on one (or more) releases
(albums). The "official" definition of a recording is at [0].

It is possible to get a list of all releases and their IDs
through the MB web service by first querying the /ws/2/recording
endpoint and then using one or more of the release IDs obtained through
that request to query the /ws/2/release endpoint.
The problem with that approach is that the release whose cover gets
chosen might not be the release the user has (because a recording can
appear on multiple releases) when we do in fact know exactly which
release it is: the one whose MusicBrainz Album ID is in the tags.

> > On the other hand, it might not be a good idea to have some extra tags
> > be visible in the user interface, but others not.
>
> Well, I'm not sure the ID in itself should be visible, but it should
> help get extra info, as a link, no?

Yes, more IDs are almost always useful :-)

The UI part was referring to the vlc_meta_AddExtra part above, which
automatically makes tags appear in the metadata dialog of at least the
Qt4 interface.

[0] http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Recording

--
Wieland