[vlc-devel] VLC make - prefix and exec-prefix being ignored..

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 08:45:29 CET 2014

Folks,

Environment: Ubuntu 13.10

In my custom build for VLC 2.0.4, here is how I configure it:

$ cd
$ mkdir MyVLC
$ cd ~/vlc
$ ./configure \
  --prefix=$HOME/MyVLC \

$ make

This would generate proper directory structure under ~/MyVLC and copy all the binaries.

Now, I am moving my build to VLC 2.1.2. I noticed that configuration now supports another parameter called exec-prefix. Here is my new script:

$ cd
$ mkdir MyVLC
$ cd ~/vlc
$ ./configure \
  --prefix=$HOME/MyVLC \
  --exec-prefix=$HOME/MyVLC \

$ make > make.err 2>&1

VLC is built as expected. However, files are not getting copied to ~/MyVLC/bin, ~/MyVLC/lib, etc.

Is there something that I am missing in my configure step?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter