[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] configure: unbreak cross-pkg-config support with contrib

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Mon Mar 3 21:00:23 CET 2014

Where's

On 03/03/14 15:23, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 15:07:16 +0100, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>
> wrote:
>>> What is 'cross-pkg-config tools' exactly ?
>>
>> $(CROSS)-pkg-config.
>>
>>> I only saw something like this in Fedora and I have no idea yet how
>>> hacky it is.
>>
>> Debian does it too and I believe it is part of pkg-config.
>
> Indeed, that actually comes from upstream pkg-config, not from Debian
> mingw64-tools. The automake macro calls AC_CHECK_TOOL expecting a
> $(host)-specific cross-tool (as opposed to AC_CHECK_PROG) just like the
> compiler and the linker. So this commit is just matching the expected
> pkg-config usage.

We can make sure we're always using 'pkg-config' instead of a
distro-specific
$(CROSS)-pkg-config.

If you want to use distibution provided cross libraries (I am not sure
if that is
a good idea anyway) you can always use export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/distro/prefix

> Generally speaking, it is not the job of the contrib snippet of the VLC
> configure script to guess whether the pkg-config environment is right or
> wrong, anymore than that of other build tools. That is the job of the
> caller (of the script) or of the SDK. The --with-contrib option is meant to
> *add* contribs to the search path.

Your goal toward perfection and guessing whose job is what might be
commendable.

However as you were told before I will not let you break other people
setup doing so.

That patch is at best incomplete if not completely incorrect (for
handling a distro
specific script) and in any case should have been posted here before.

As it breaks win32 builds with only pkg-config and android builds it
must be reverted now.