[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] configure: unbreak cross-pkg-config support with contrib

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Mar 4 10:52:57 CET 2014

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 10:08:21 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> On 04 Mar, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>> > They don't have hacks, and they work fine.
>>
>> Overriding the LIBDIR in configure is a hack and I already explained it
>> multiple times.
>
> pkg-config is a hack too. Everyone complained about it.

This is trolling.

>> > Windows building even works on Windows, natively, if you know enough
>> > about autotools.
>> >
>> > The Debian packager of mingw decided to not use the default flags,
>> > while
>> > not recommended. Complaints can go there...
>>
>> This is ridiculous. This is an UPSTREAM pkg-config feature as already
>> explained in this thread. Twice. Actually, that's three times with the
>> commit log.
>
> No. I'm speaking about the pthread dll dependencies. Windows building
> works fine.
> Debian packaging of MinGW is non-standard (and stupid).

I don't have a technical opinion on whether Debian is right or wrong with
regards to pthread linking. I have no patches to propose here and I did
apply your solution already.

> But, sure, it's so much of an UPSTREAM feature, that not everyone is
> shipping it...

The upstream feature is favoring pkg-config favor cross-pkgconfig over
native. That is a fact; check the pkg.m4 from pkg-config 0.28 upstream
yourself. It is also a fact that upstream pkg-config marks the autoconf
variables VLC overrides as precious, implying it is the configure
*caller*'s responsibility to set them up.

This has nothing to do with Debian or Fedora. This is how pkg-config is
intended to be used.

Sent from my collocated server