[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] configure: unbreak cross-pkg-config support with contrib

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Mar 4 11:00:49 CET 2014

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 10:11:48 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> On 04 Mar, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>> I don't understand what's so hard about setting your PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR
>> correctly before calling configure.
>
> Nothing is so hard.
> But, sorry to be a DonDiego, but your git commit log does not say that.
>
> I don't understand what's so hard to say, in your commit log:
> "Remember to set your PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR accordingly". Or mention it on
> vlc-devel

"cross-pkg-config tools have a correct default search path. (...) the
caller is responsible for selecting an adequate default path (...) just as
with every other build tools."

And VLC's ./configure --help does say:

  PKG_CONFIG_PATH
              Paths where to find .pc not at the default location
  PKG_CONFIG  path to pkg-config utility
  PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR
              path overriding pkg-config's built-in search path

Nothing new here. I think I made it clear to you and Rafaël at VDD that I
would not take responsibility for people ignoring the documentation, unless
explicitly asked.
Nobody asked for clarifications. Rafaël, then Sébastien then you all
started by faulting the commit, not by asking for clafications.

In that respect, Rafaël and your attitude feels like betrayal of my trust.
I am pretty pissed.

Sent from my collocated server