[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] configure: unbreak cross-pkg-config support with contrib

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Mar 4 11:12:23 CET 2014

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 10:59:49 +0100, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>
wrote:
> http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/releases/
>
> No trace of prefixed-pkg-config here.

Frankly but it *looks* like you are playing dumb here.

Look at the pkg.m4 file, specifically AC_ARG_VAR and AC_CHECK_TOOL
usage... I already mentioned this several time and I find it really really
hard to believe that you missed the references.

> I doubt "Correctly configured" means "with some unspecified
> distro-specific script".

It means using a mechanism promoted and favored by upstream pkg-config for
the express purpose of cross-compilation.

Diego is probably right that this depends on SDK-specific wrapper scripts,
but I fail to see the relevance to the point that this is "the upstream
way".

>> - Packaging has been (accidentally) broken for over a year by Felix
with
>> NPAPI. He acknowledged but reported his inability to fix it. The bug
has
>> been reported for quite a while.
>
> Again you are avoiding the details such as bug number for this
> hypothetical problem.

#10507 dude. The bug is over a year old and the report over a month old...

>> - Packaging depends on a hard-coded path to WINE for the ActiveX. That
>> breaks any system who WINE path does not match that of the Makefile
>> author
>> (including any recent Linux distro), and prevents builds from non-x86.
>
> You can always set WINE_SDK_PATH.

Indeed I probably can set my non-standard WINE path. And you can set your
non-standard PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR.

Instead, I just gave up, made some hacks. And I kept them for myself
because I don't push hacks to the tree on the sole basis that they fix my
build.

> mingw-w64-tools does not and will not provide pkg-config.

In Debian, it does. I got there by following the wiki Win32 compilation
instructions by the way. And they do claim to support my Debian version for
build.

> % ls -l `which i686-w64-mingw32-pkg-config`
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 janv. 10 07:19
> /usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-pkg-config -> ../share/pkg-config-crosswrapper
> % dpkg -S /usr/share/pkg-config-crosswrapper
> pkg-config: /usr/share/pkg-config-crosswrapper
>
> So thanks for optimizing for some custom distro without even checking
> your facts.

This is getting nowhere. For the last time, this is the official way to do
cross compilation with pkg-config. The fact that your SDKs do not implement
it is not an excuse for making it impossible for that whose SDKs do.
Besides my build platform is supported according to the wiki.

>> - With recent Mingw64, you have to hack and remove files from the SDK
>> avoid linking against pthread (not much the spirit of the GPL).
>
> Thanks for showing you don't know anything about mingw-w64 either.

Tell that to JB. That's coming from JB. And at least Ludovic confirmed
hitting the same problem.

> *gcc* links to pthread and of course it depends on how it was
configured.

>> - Also with that, VLC depends on gcc_s without sources for it.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception.html

That's an excuse for ignoring GCC's license, not VLC's license, and
unincidentally my copyrights.

[The rest is just trolling so I left it out.]

Sent from my collocated server