[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] configure: unbreak cross-pkg-config support with contrib

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Tue Mar 4 11:19:17 CET 2014

On 03/04/14 11:12, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 10:59:49 +0100, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>
> wrote:

>>> - Packaging has been (accidentally) broken for over a year by Felix
> with
>>> NPAPI. He acknowledged but reported his inability to fix it. The bug
> has
>>> been reported for quite a while.
>>
>> Again you are avoiding the details such as bug number for this
>> hypothetical problem.
>
> #10507 dude. The bug is over a year old and the report over a month old...

Cool, so now I am aware of it at least.

>>> - Packaging depends on a hard-coded path to WINE for the ActiveX. That
>>> breaks any system who WINE path does not match that of the Makefile
>>> author
>>> (including any recent Linux distro), and prevents builds from non-x86.
>>
>> You can always set WINE_SDK_PATH.
>
> Indeed I probably can set my non-standard WINE path. And you can set your
> non-standard PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR.
>
> Instead, I just gave up, made some hacks. And I kept them for myself
> because I don't push hacks to the tree on the sole basis that they fix my
> build.

I just checked that wine.git still installs in prefix/include/wine/windows

Not sure what's your point here.

In any case you didn't report it when you noticed that problem.

>> mingw-w64-tools does not and will not provide pkg-config.
>
> In Debian, it does. I got there by following the wiki Win32 compilation
> instructions by the way. And they do claim to support my Debian version for
> build.

Sure we claim to support the ever moving Debian sid, and it never breaks.

There is also the option of talking to me directly about the problems
you have,
but I'm sure you never considered doing this.

>> % ls -l `which i686-w64-mingw32-pkg-config`
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 janv. 10 07:19
>> /usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-pkg-config -> ../share/pkg-config-crosswrapper
>> % dpkg -S /usr/share/pkg-config-crosswrapper
>> pkg-config: /usr/share/pkg-config-crosswrapper
>>
>> So thanks for optimizing for some custom distro without even checking
>> your facts.
>
> This is getting nowhere. For the last time, this is the official way to do
> cross compilation with pkg-config. The fact that your SDKs do not implement
> it is not an excuse for making it impossible for that whose SDKs do.
> Besides my build platform is supported according to the wiki.
>
>>> - With recent Mingw64, you have to hack and remove files from the SDK
>>> avoid linking against pthread (not much the spirit of the GPL).
>>
>> Thanks for showing you don't know anything about mingw-w64 either.
>
> Tell that to JB. That's coming from JB. And at least Ludovic confirmed
> hitting the same problem.

And I told them how to fix it... But as you refuse talking to me (and
people
tell me that it looks like a small child behaviour) you would of course
not get
the advice straight from the source.

>> *gcc* links to pthread and of course it depends on how it was
> configured.
>>
>>> - Also with that, VLC depends on gcc_s without sources for it.
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception.html
>
> That's an excuse for ignoring GCC's license, not VLC's license, and
> unincidentally my copyrights.

So VLC license and your copyrights apply to libgcc? hmm..