[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] configure: unbreak cross-pkg-config support with contrib

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue Mar 4 11:38:07 CET 2014

On 04 Mar, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 11:08:05 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
> wrote:
> > On 04 Mar, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> >> Nothing new here.
> >
> > The subtilities of LIBDIR vs PATH are not obvious. And seeing the mess
> > it created, many people have their build broken.
>
> The fact is that Rafaël immediately faulted the commit, and that Sébastien
> followed suit and only retracted into asking latter. And Rafaël is still
> arguing that the commit is wrong.

I will not deny this fact, but I will not accept being included in
"faulting the commit". On this autoshit/pkg-crap mess, I usually wait
for Flameeyes opinion, since, he's usually a good unbiased reference.

> > You consider that it's none of your business to help other? fine.
>
> This is accusations on intent, and on top of that it is false. I did

Ok, then my bad.

> provide clarifications once asked for.

I still think you should have been more pro-active on this part, but
that's my opinion.
"Beware to override PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR correctly" was not that hard to
say, in the commit logs or IRC, and would have saved a lot of time.

> > But don't complain about people considering your attitude unfriendly.
>
> Everybody in this thread has had an unfriendly attitude, except for the
> commit bot.

Agreed. And I complained about the attitude of thread quite quickly.

> >> Nobody asked for clarifications. Rafaël, then Sébastien then you all
> >> started by faulting the commit, not by asking for clafications.
> >
> > I did not fault the commit. I complained about the thread tone and
> > attitude. And I will again.
>
> Yes indeed, you implicitly moved onto the pthread problem from the
> pkg-config problem. But that's not what it read like.

I disagree. You mentionned the Windows build being broken, several
times, and as one person doing more than one VLC-on-windows compilation
per day; I disagreed. I mean, seriously, those days, it even builds
natively!

With my kindest regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf