[vlc-devel] Problem with fullscreen mode on Mac

Ron Frederick ronf at timeheart.net
Sun Mar 23 15:38:10 CET 2014

On Mar 23, 2014, at 7:15 AM, Ron Frederick <ronf at timeheart.net> wrote:
> Experimenting with this a bit more, I see the behavior changes depending on whether I quit & restart VLC after I turn off “native fullscreen”. In that case, it goes fullscreen on the proper monitor, but then I have a different problem. When it exits from playback and the control window comes back on up on my other monitor, the menu is missing on all screens, and switching applications and switching back doesn’t help. All I can do at that point is use a keyboard shortcut to exit and restart the app.

One more data point on this. As I’ve continued to experiment, I see that even version 2.1.0 had this bug, but it depends on how I stop playback. Stopping it by going to the menu (on one of the non-fullscreen monitors) and selecting “Stop” produces it, but using other techniques like hitting Cmd-. to stop doesn’t. It may have something to do with the way it tries to hide & show the menu when you move the mouse to the top of the screen while in the old full screen mode. If the menu is being shown at the time you stop, I think it tries to hide it when you finish selecting something, but when it does that after you stop playback, it is no longer in full screen and hiding the menu is not the right thing to do.
--
Ron Frederick
ronf at timeheart.net