[vlc-devel] Problem with fullscreen mode on Mac

Ron Frederick ronf at timeheart.net
Sun Mar 23 18:10:22 CET 2014

On Mar 23, 2014, at 8:11 AM, David Fuhrmann <david.fuhrmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Ron,
>
> Am 23.03.2014 um 15:15 schrieb Ron Frederick <ronf at timeheart.net>:
>> Experimenting with this a bit more, I see the behavior changes depending on whether I quit & restart VLC after I turn off “native fullscreen”.
>
> As I said, you need to restart VLC after changing the option. :-)
>
> I really appreciate your explanations, but please keep the following in mind:
> Your user report better belong to the bug tracker or the forums, not to this developer mailing list.
>
> We specifically enabled native fullscreen mode by default on Mavericks, because they are problems with the old mode. This already has become better in VLC 2.2. So I would like to ask you to test a 2.2 nightly build, and file a bug report per problem you see, with information to reproduce, on our bug tracker.
>
> Thanks for your support and for your tests.

Thanks, David. That’s a good point about the list — sorry about that. I joined this list a few years ago when I was actively working on fixing problems like this myself, but I’ve had some trouble since upgrading to Xcode 5 getting VLC to build properly on Mavericks. More on-topic for this list, is that working yet? If so, is there documentation somewhere about it? The page at https://wiki.videolan.org/OSXCompile/ still refers to OSX 10.5/10.6 and Xcode 3/4, both of which are pretty old at this point.

In the meantime, regarding my report above, I see from looking at the forums that the lack of support for alternate monitors is a known limitation in native fullscreen mode on Mavericks. However, I could not find a report of the other issue related to the menu remaining hidden, so I have files that as bug #11059 in the VLC bug tracker, and found a workaround for it (which I’ve also documented there).

Thanks very much for your help!
--
Ron Frederick
ronf at timeheart.net