[vlc-devel] subtitle delay in android

Maria Gheorghe reclamamulta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 12:56:26 CEST 2014

also something else regarding subtitles.
I noticed in vlc for android code the fallowing code in class
VideoPlayerActivity:
---------------------------------------
       /* Only show the subtitles surface when using "Full Acceleration"
mode */
        if (mLibVLC.getHardwareAcceleration() ==
LibVLC.HW_ACCELERATION_FULL)
            mSubtitlesSurface.setVisibility(View.VISIBLE);
And hardware aceleration only works for android 4.3+ .
So this means android < 4.3 can not show subtitles in vlc for android
,cause mSubtitlesSurface is default invisible in layout and the condition
above do nto let it to be visible if tehre is no full hardware aceleration
.
Any way I tried in a little cheap (26usd) android tv box running android
4.2.2 ,with only 512 ram ,and dual core Allwinner 1.2 ghz cpu, to use
subtitles ,and everythink works great.
There is no delay , I watched more than 6 movies with different codecs and
everythink is great.
I ussed the libvlc from google play (libvlc: VLC media player - 2.2.0-pre4
Weatherwax ) ,I only changed gui code ,nothing to the libvlc ,and all is
good in android 4.2.2 with subtitles and HarwareAcceleration(0).