[vlc-devel] How to start a new language ? (Indic Languages)

chandrakant dhutadmal cpdhutadmal at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 05:45:48 CET 2015

Hi All.

I was going through the web page  where translation maintainers are listed for translating VLC project ( VideoLAN - VLC media player internationalization). It appears that there are few Indian languages which are available in VLC media player. Namely, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Tamil, Telugu. There are two more languages mentioned on the page (Kannada and Odia), but language maintainers are not named. So i am safely assuming that these languages are also not available as yet.

My Name is Chandrakant Dhutadmal. I am from Pune, India and i work as Senior Technical Officer with an organization called C-DAC (Centre for development of Advanced computing), which is an autonomous scientific society under Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY), Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Govt. of India.

C-DAC has been working on localization of various free and open source softwares for quite some time. It now wishes to contribute translations of all Indian languages for VLC player.  Since i am new to the processes in VLC project, can someone guide me / help me in contributing to the project. I can be one point contact for these translations.

As an immediate step, we would like to contribute to Kannada language. Kindly send me the files which needs to translated and submitted back.

Regards
Chandrakant Dhutadmal
Pune, India.