[vlc-devel] [RFC] libvlc browsing: questions about new features

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Mon Jan 26 15:02:40 CET 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015, at 10:21, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le 2015-01-21 12:59, Thomas Guillem a écrit :
> > - I need a way to know if a libvlc_media is a directory (or is
> > browsable). Indeed the top level code need to know if a media should
> > be
> > opened with a media player or parsed (for browsing).
>
> That sounds like a failure of the existing abstraction more than
> something that needs to be exposed...
>
> > - I'll also need a way to setup dialogs callbacks via libvlc in order
> > dispatch vlc dialogs to libvlc users. It'll be used for smb login
> > dialogs, but it'll be also useful for others vlc dialogs.
>
> That's easy: most of the code is already in place for the interface
> support, though you may want to clean up the internals. The real
> difficulty is on the application side, in handling GUI callbacks from
> non-GUI threads.
>
> > - And finally, I'll need a way to get input_item ppz_options from a
> > libvlc_media. It'll be used to fetch "smb-login" and "smb-pwd"
> > options
> > set from dsm module.
>
> I fail to see why the application would need, and should be granted
> access to those. They should not even be in the input items to begin
> with, otherwise they might end up in clear text in playlist files.

I'll need to a way to save/restore samba password/login set by VLC via
dialog.
I don't know if it should be in vlccore (using system keystore ?), or
add functions in libvlc so that libvlc users handle themselves the
saving and restoring of samba password/login.

Could we talk about it this weekend during FOSDEM ?