[vlc-devel] [RFC] libvlc browsing: questions about new features

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Jan 23 10:21:03 CET 2015

Le 2015-01-21 12:59, Thomas Guillem a écrit :
> - I need a way to know if a libvlc_media is a directory (or is
> browsable). Indeed the top level code need to know if a media should
> be
> opened with a media player or parsed (for browsing).

That sounds like a failure of the existing abstraction more than
something that needs to be exposed...

> - I'll also need a way to setup dialogs callbacks via libvlc in order
> dispatch vlc dialogs to libvlc users. It'll be used for smb login
> dialogs, but it'll be also useful for others vlc dialogs.

That's easy: most of the code is already in place for the interface
support, though you may want to clean up the internals. The real
difficulty is on the application side, in handling GUI callbacks from
non-GUI threads.

> - And finally, I'll need a way to get input_item ppz_options from a
> libvlc_media. It'll be used to fetch "smb-login" and "smb-pwd"
> options
> set from dsm module.

I fail to see why the application would need, and should be granted
access to those. They should not even be in the input items to begin
with, otherwise they might end up in clear text in playlist files.

But the worst is that item options are not stable. Parsing them in an
application is arming a gun pointing at your feet. Sooner or later, it
will break without warnings and it will hurt.