[vlc-devel] [RFC] libvlc browsing: questions about new features

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Mon Jan 26 17:21:38 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 16:29, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le lundi 26 janvier 2015, 16:24:25 Thomas Guillem a écrit :

> > > The credentials won´t magically get from the password dialog to the
> > > "right"
> > > input item (if any). That just makes no sense.
> >
> > I think it's already the case, in dsm/access.c
> >
> > i_ret = asprintf( &psz_option, "smb-pwd=%s", p_sys->creds.password );
> > if( i_ret == -1 )
> >     return VLC_ENOMEM;
> > input_item_AddOption( p_item, psz_option, VLC_INPUT_OPTION_TRUSTED );
> > free( psz_option );
>
> Leaving aside the fact that the code fails miserably if the password
> contains
> some inconvenient characters, where do you get the item from? You know
> browsing is the exception, not the rule..

Ah yes I see, this is not a good way to save credentials.

The item is created from the pf_readdir callback in dsm access. It's
used for browsing, to save samba credentials for subfolders since the
options are also copied from a node item to sub items.

Maybe we should add a new type of module in vlc: keyring that use
OS/Desktop environment keyring to save/restore credentials.

The way I see it: a module need credentials, it loads a keyring module,
fetch the credentials, if no credentials, pop up a login_dialog like
before, and save the credentials in keyring module if valid. Of course
we need to add a checkbox in login dialogs that ask to save or not the
credentials.

The advantage is that it'll work for apps using VLC Core, and not only
for libvlc browsing like I planned at the beginning.