[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Remove using namespace std; from C++ code

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jun 22 16:40:03 CEST 2015

Le 2015-06-22 17:31, Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen a écrit :
> On 22/06/2015 16:15, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>>
>> This is pointless if not actively harmful. Our public headers must
>> be
>> usable in external C++ applications code with or without the std
>> namespace. AFAIU, this change hides bug that will then strike third
>> parties after we release.
>>

> My understanding of public headers in this context is "anything in
> the include/vlc folder", which isn't affected by this commit.

Public headers is anything that is copied by make install. That is:
- for external apps, the LibVLC API headers in include/vlc/ and,
- for external plugins, most but not all of VLC plugin API headers in
include/.

> I'm not sure to understand what you mean here.

If we need to depend on a library that has "using namespace std;" in
its public header, then what?

http://www.remlab.net/