[vlc-devel] DASH streaming algorithm

Jonathan Kua jtkua at swin.edu.au
Mon Sep 7 09:38:13 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm interested in using VLC as a DASH client for research purposes. I
just updated to 'revision 2.2.0-git-4636-g3a37abe' and will use this as
a basis for exploring different rate/buffer-based adaptation algorithms.
Would you mind explaining briefly the current adaptation algorithm?

I've looked into the adaptive, dash module and managed to extract
various statistics, including the estimated bandwidth, selected
representation, etc.
I'm also interested in the buffer capacity/ fluctuations (the main
parameter in buffer-based algorithms) during a DASH streaming
experiment. Which part of the source code should I be looking at for
this information? What other DASH-related variables/terminology should I
be aware of?

Thank you.

Regards,
Jonathan