[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Tag 2.2.3 : VLC media player 2.2.3 'WeatherWax'

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Apr 26 19:59:52 CEST 2016

	Hey

This is veering off the original topic but...

On Tuesday 26 April 2016 19:04:59 Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On 26 Apr, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> > On the one hand, I try my best to enforce technical soundness regardless
> > of
> > any immediate business interests of VideoLabs in code reviews - on my free
>
> On this part, I have to say that the difficult to merge patches
> (chromecast, decoder fallback, browsing) are done by the probono part of
> Videolabs, aka Tguillem, Steve, Francois, Hugo, Filip, and are done to
> improve VLC, not for any customers.

I mean business interests in a very general sense. Even if there is no direct
revenue for demuxer improvements, Chromecast output, etc, I believe that there
are indirect economic interests, if only because it promotes VLC, VLC ports,
and/or LibVLC, and elevates VideoLabs´ standing within the community.

> What our clients ask for is mostly support and libVLC integration, and
> it is extremely rare that this require changes in vlc.git (I have just
> one client in mind).

I suspect that this is sadly but unsurprisingly the usual fare for open-source
projects and service vendors. I am pretty sure that Lennart Poettering is not
realizing a lot of contracts for Red Hat.

> Moreover, I already propose to pay for those code reviews, which are
> appreciated (even if tough, sometimes).

I know. At this point, it is entirely my own problem by my own fault.

For the most part I have been too lazy to sort that out on my side. But I also
do not trust my own self to keep my code reviews fair and proper if I get paid
by the reviewee. And while I know this is a very imperfect metric, the last 12
months commits by affiliation (derived from Ohloh) look like this:

VideoLabs	59%	(2485)
Remlab		24%	(1017)
David F.		 3.4%	(144)
Petri H.		 1.7%	(73)
Mozilla		 1.6%	(71)
Hannes D.	 1.2%	(51)
Amino		 0.8%	(35)
Misc.		 9.3% 	(327)

And that does not even account for mobile ports, web plug-ins and language
bindings.

http://www.remlab.net/