[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] lua: use luaL_checkint() where applicable

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Aug 17 18:09:48 CEST 2016

Le keskiviikkona 17. elokuuta 2016, 18.00.35 EEST Filip Roséen a écrit :
> The precense of `luaL_checkint` is conditionally enabled only if
> `LUA_COMPAT_APIINTCASTS` is defined for *lua* versions `>= 5.3.0`; as
> such these changes breaks builds on system that have such version
> present.

VLC never supported Lua 5.3. It might have been possible to compile with the
Lua 5.3. But as far as I am aware, there has never been a situation where all
built-in scripts actually worked at run-time with Lua 5.3.

And lets not even get started on the ABI patch.

>  - Why was it decided to effectively roll back the changes introduced
>    by `2468da5` while not taking `41caaa08` into account?

My documentation makes no mention of it being deprecated, though it´s entirely
possible that said documentation is crap.

But in any case, the casts were implementation-defined behaviour (down-
conversion to signed integer type). While not as bad as undefined behaviour,
it still leaves to be desired IMHO.

>  - Is it a concious decision to not support`lua >= 5.3.0`?

Ask the resident Lua experts (all zero of them, I guess).

http://www.remlab.net/