[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Tag 2.2.3 : VLC media player 2.2.3 'WeatherWax'

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue May 3 02:42:05 CEST 2016

On 27 Apr, Rafaël Carré wrote :
> I doubt that a formal VideoLAN vote is needed on a VLC technical issue.
>
> Else should every commit where there is a disagreement be voted upon?
>
> That is the wrong way to go IMHO.

Yet, I see no other way.

> What is the question anyway:
>
> "Should Windows 64 releases be built with a gcc that was itself built
> with --disable-shared?"
>
> ?

Yes, that's a good question.
The answer is quite simple.

Without this option, all the C++ modules depend on a DLL
that must be in one of the dll lookup folders when vlccore does
LoadLibray() as documented and debated many times.

This works if you call vlc.exe and have this library next tovlc.exe, but
breaks in all cases where the cwd is different, notably the NPAPI
plugin, the ActiveX and the COM usages. On those cases, it cannot find
it.

Not to mention cases where someone has built an application using libVLC
but has a different version of gcc, and therefore conflicting libgcc-
dlls.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734