[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Tag 2.2.3 : VLC media player 2.2.3 'WeatherWax'

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Tue May 3 09:57:51 CEST 2016

On 05/03/2016 02:42 AM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On 27 Apr, Rafaël Carré wrote :
>> I doubt that a formal VideoLAN vote is needed on a VLC technical issue.
>>
>> Else should every commit where there is a disagreement be voted upon?
>>
>> That is the wrong way to go IMHO.
>>

> Yet, I see no other way.

The other way is argue about it on vlc-devel@, not in front of the VideoLAN
members who are neither developers neither Windows or GCC experts.

>> What is the question anyway:
>>
>> "Should Windows 64 releases be built with a gcc that was itself built
>> with --disable-shared?"
>>
>> ?
>>

> Yes, that's a good question.
> The answer is quite simple.
>
> Without this option, all the C++ modules depend on a DLL
> that must be in one of the dll lookup folders when vlccore does
> LoadLibray() as documented and debated many times.
>
> This works if you call vlc.exe and have this library next tovlc.exe, but
> breaks in all cases where the cwd is different, notably the NPAPI
> plugin, the ActiveX and the COM usages. On those cases, it cannot find
> it.

libvlc already knows to LoadLibrary in the plugins/ folder, so that can
not be hard?

I didn't know the npapi/activex plugins didn't load though.

> Not to mention cases where someone has built an application using libVLC
> but has a different version of gcc, and therefore conflicting libgcc-
> dlls.

According to mingw-w64 people there is a higher risk of a problem when
using static libgcc.