[vlc-devel] [RFC-PATCH] core/audio_output: do not drop (late) audio blocks if it would cause silence

Filip Roséen filip at videolabs.io
Tue May 17 21:09:31 CEST 2016

> It is very debatable that this improves the user experience. For music,
> resampling sounds absolutely terrible. Dropping on seek is not an issue since
> a glitch is bound to occur when seeking.

Certainly; the problem is that we currently play audio for some period of
time only to drop the next one due to us running late. Instead of having a
longer period of silence, we end up at a state where we play a little something,
then have silence for N ms of time.

The above certainly affects user-experience.

If we could have silence all the way through the experience would certainly
improve. How that (having a complete period of silence instead of partial after
some audio has been played) is to be implemented is.. well, that too requires a
discussion.

  - Any thoughts on the above?