[vlc-devel] HRTF renderer supporting the SOFA format

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Oct 2 02:02:42 CEST 2016

Le samedi 1 octobre 2016, 09:35:24 Christian Hoene a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> one year ago, Wolfgang Hrauda has written a plugin for SOFA HRTF formats
> http://iem.kug.ac.at/fileadmin/media/iem/projects/2014/hrauda.pdf
>
> I have updated it to be include in the latest master
> https://github.com/choene/vlc/commit/d46ed41475698b923e72429662a5ff568f0f20e
> 0
>
> Next, I will add head tracking to it.  What is the right way to include it?
> 1) Add a module to https://github.com/choene/vlc/tree/master/modules/control
> 2) Link that module by sofalizer and update the HRTF filters according to
> the head movements
>
> Question 1:  What kind of head tracking are you considering for the 360
> videos?

I don't know.

> Question 2: How to reduce the playout latency of VLC? Head tracking will
> require that the audio output changes immediately...

Zero latency audio is a physical impossibility with contemporary computer
hardware and drivers, so that's that.

Now that being said, there are no proposals so far how to configure output for
low latency, or indeed the entire pipeline in general. It's not infeasible,
but it's probably several human-years of full time work to get right.

http://www.remlab.net/