[vlc-devel] HRTF renderer supporting the SOFA format

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Oct 2 22:06:42 CEST 2016

Hello,

On 01 Oct, Christian Hoene wrote :
> one year ago, Wolfgang Hrauda has written a plugin for SOFA HRTF formats
> http://iem.kug.ac.at/fileadmin/media/iem/projects/2014/hrauda.pdf

Yes, that's nice.

> I have updated it to be include in the latest master
> https://github.com/choene/vlc/commit/d46ed41475698b923e72429662a5ff568f0f20e0

This requires a lot more work, before being merged, to be honest.
On top of my head:
 - it should split the filter from the ui commits, and the 3rd party
   libraries too...
 - it should not use and copy-paste a resampling library blindly.
 - the fft code is ugly and very hard to review (FIXED_POINT define,
   numerous ugly macros, inline asm....
 - I'd argue strongly that it should be LGPL,
 - do we really need netcdf?
 - the preferences options are confusing and completely obtuse
   (filename1 to 3?) Why do we want 3 files?
 - Where are the reference HRTF to use?

> Question 1:  What kind of head tracking are you considering for the 360 videos?

We will need quite a few head tracking modules, I'm afraid.

With my kindest regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734