[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] modules: Adjust integer limits

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Oct 14 20:15:00 CEST 2016

Le perjantaina 14. lokakuuta 2016, 19.26.59 EEST Filip Roséen a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On 2016-10-14 18:32, Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen wrote:
> > On 10/14/2016 06:26 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > > [ ... ]
> >
> > That's a fair point. Although int a = var_InheritInteger should and will
> > trigger a compiler warning, I'm afraid fixing all call sites could be
> > long and painfull, if not error prone...
> > I have no strong opinion here, beside the fact that without this commit
> > (or with Filip recent commit, enforcing the check), any int64 passed
> > through command line will be clamped in between the wrong values.
>
> Another way of fixing the described issues is to only apply
> `VLC_VAR_SETMINMAX` if the associated module configuration for int and
> float variables, respectivally, differ from `[0,0]` and `[NaN,NaN]`.

Sorry but this is just completely irrelevant to the problem. The matter is
what the default range should be, the historical range that is relied upon in
pre-existing code paths, or the whole range.

There are no problems with how limits should be represented internally.

Nonsponsored VLC developer
http://www.remlab.net/CV.pdf