[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] modules: Adjust integer limits

Filip Roséen filip at atch.se
Fri Oct 14 20:19:37 CEST 2016

Hi Rémi,

On 2016-10-14 21:15, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> > Another way of fixing the described issues is to only apply
> > `VLC_VAR_SETMINMAX` if the associated module configuration for int and
> > float variables, respectivally, differ from `[0,0]` and `[NaN,NaN]`.
>
> Sorry but this is just completely irrelevant to the problem. The matter is
> what the default range should be, the historical range that is relied upon in
> pre-existing code paths, or the whole range.
>
> There are no problems with how limits should be represented internally.

I agree with you on the fact that the question is what the default range should
be, and from what Hugo wrote I concluded that one alternative would (perhaps) be
to not have any range at all unless such has been explictly specified; hence the
patch.

That way the old behavior for modules that do not specify a range for a certain
variable is retained, while we still clamp values where an explicit range has
been set.

Though I certainly trust that you guys know better given that you have far more
experience with the codebase.. I just thought I'd drop my 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply and elaboration!